Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Done: Second Chance Socks

Second Chance socks doneMy obsession with knitting ribbed cotton socks continues.

Holy Smokes! I changed my web browser from the new version of Firefox to the new version of Safari and now my blog looks like hell. AAAAHHH! What font style/size was I using? Does it look like this on other people's computers?! Ok, I have to pull myself together.

As I was saying, this is my third pair of 2x2 ribbed socks. I'm actually rather tired of knitting ribbed socks, so these couldn't end soon enough.

Re-Cap
Yarn: Lana Grossa Cotton Fun. I've heard a rumor it's been discontinued.
Needles: US1 dpn
Pattern: 2x2 rib, garter stitch edge heel stitch flap, princess sole, normal toe shaping.

The Name
These socks are knit from recycled yarn. I'm very pleased with myself because of this.

You might remember I started the process of harvesting this yarn back in July.

I had originally knit a pair of plain stockinette stitch socks with it. They were a little big to begin with and then they Second Chance socks solo stretched. Causing me to basically stop wearing them. That wasn't doing anyone any good, so I harvested the yarn and had another go.

The ribbing was an effort to counteract the lack of spring in the cotton yarn. I'm wearing them today and they are more or less sliding down. But the overall fit is better, especially on my feet, which is all that matters.

Moving On
This was my third pair of ribbed socks in a row. I am so over 2x2 ribbing it isn't even funny. I was getting tired of working these socks not because of second sock syndrome, but because I was sick of the pattern (or lack there of).

Oh, in case you're wondering, I kept better notes this time. The second sock went off without a hitch.

Well, expect for I somehow fouled up when I was kitchenering the toe shut. I was forced to rip it out and re-graft it. sigh. But it's lovely now.

I'm on to working on my Scrappy Socks from my leftover Jitterbug. I may have mentioned this intention sometime in the distant past.

And, of course, the Tartan Argyles, but I haven't had a chance to get a picture yet.

Tomorrow, hopefully another installment of our France trip!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! At first I thought they were "Cottys" a new pattern I've seen going around. In any case, nice save on the recycling!! :)

    ReplyDelete