Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Second Post Syndrome

Here it is Nov 2 and I'm already questioning this decision to try to do the blog everyday thing. Good thing I didn't officially register!

While I might have a blogging block, what I don't have is the dreaded Second Sock Syndrome.

Even if that second sock was resisting my attempts to knit it.

As you know, despite those Dissonance socks, I like my socks to match. I don't think it's asking too much.

So after I finished this first sock you see here I sat there, minding my own business, reeling out the yarn to find the same point in the colorway.

I passed through the speckled green bit.

I passed into the purple bit. There was a splice in the purple bit but I didn't think anything of it.

Then I started passing through a speckled bit again.

"Wait a minute," I thought, "that's not right." Of course I kept going and things just looked more wrong as I went along.

I went back along the yarn to the spliced part and started forward again. I finally realized that not only did a section get skipped but the sequence reversed.

Bah!

To confirm my suspicions I got out the ball winder and rewound the skein. Indeed it was reversed.

Oh well, at least yarn has two ends and you can usually work from either one, which I promptly did.

I'm 12 rows into the second sock and it looks like I did a pretty good job matching them up. In my book that makes all that winding and rewinding worth it.

The yarn is Indulgence 6 Ply Distrato. It is a 75% Extrafine Merino Wool, 25% Polyamide blend. I'm working it on a US 1.5 needle. It's a soft, smooth yarn. It seems a wee bit thicker than the sock yarns I usually use, but it's so pleasant and the colors are so lovely who am I to resist?

1 comment:

  1. That yarn looks great on the sock! I need to knit some socks one of these days--I've been putting it off. Huge sweaters and blankets, sure, but for some reason I keep avoiding socks! :)

    ~Danica

    ReplyDelete