Monday, January 17, 2011
In the pattern EZ says not to try to position them in advance.
She suggests putting on the finished jacket, noting where your hands naturally want to go, and placing the pocket in that location.
Now that I finally have buttons (a whole other saga. Oh there have been things to blog about, I just haven't been blogging) I can get a better idea of how the jacket actually hangs.
I put it on, buttoned it up, and pretended to put my iPhone in my non-existent pocket.
Then I froze and attached stitch markers to either side.
I spent the next hour walking around trying to spontaneously put things in my pretend pockets.
I'm not sure how much I actually managed to surprise myself, but the positioning seemed to work.
Now I have to take some measurements to make sure they match in distance from the front opening and bottom hem. I might also make them just a twinge wider.
I'm a little worried about the idea of cutting the sweater to make the pockets.
Pam asked why I'm going to cut if I'm scared of the idea.
I pointed out that if I don't cut I'll have to do patch pockets. Now I suppose patch pockets would work for some people. But in my matchy-matchy world they won't work.
I'm out of most of the yarns I used to knit the sweater so I can't reproduce the stripes.
And, let's be serious, the jacket is eye-catching enough as it is without patch pockets adding to the visual interest.