Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cat's Pajamas indeed


Lucy Neatby sent Knitting Central a sample skein of her new sock yarn Cat's Pajamas. It is 80% Merino, 10% Cashmere, 10% Nylon and 100% delicious.
Cynthia, who thought it was just a new colorway rather than a new yarn, could not understand why I have been pestering her via email for weeks in a desperate attempt to get my hands on the stuff.
Fortunately, it somehow escaped the notice of everyone else as well, which is odd considering how attuned all our radars are to not only new sock yarn but cashmere as well.
After the store closed on Saturday, I finally had the chance to drop the skein into her hands and make her understand my obsession. She smiled and asked, "Do you want to take this yarn home to play with it?"
I replied in my best Eric Cartman voice, "Hell yes I want to take the yarn home."
Actually, I think I said "oh, yes, please" before I snatched it back, did a happy dance, and stuffed it in my knitting bag before she could change her mind. Well, I did make an attempt to use the ballwinder and swift, but there wasn't time.
Oh, woe, I had to spend all that extra time handling the yarn while I wound it manually at home. (Why, yes, I am being sarcastic.)
To the detriment of all other projects, I spent Saturday night swatching. First I used the 2.5mm Pony dpns Hubby brought me from Poland. I got 7.5 sts and 10 rows to the inch. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. Then I used my US1 Brittany dpns and got 8 sts and 11 rows. I think that was a much better fabric for socks and am going with the US1s.
The labels on Lucy Neatby's yarns say "Make your yarn happy--Knit it now!" I think it is time to follow that advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment