Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Green Eyed Monster

I knit and crochet for my own enjoyment. I knit and crochet for my own enjoyment.
At the beginning of the year I heard about a call for submission for a sock book using handpainted yarn. So I sent off two ideas. The deadline was Jan 31 and I haven't heard anything.
But last night I found out someone I know had a pattern accepted. While I haven't been officially rejected, I have to think it's a bad sign.
I knit and crochet for my own enjoyment.
I even had to run out and check the mail just to be sure (bunch of stupid bills). I haven't congratulated her, yet, as I don't think I could actually muster any sincerity. But I'm happy for her. Really.
I knit and crochet for my own enjoyment.
Still, I have to wonder...were my patterns not unique or interesting enough? Should I not have used Koigu for the swatches? Were my explanations not eloquent enough? I may never know.
Then I remind myself, technically I have stuff published all the time, just not patterns. Because, really, my ambition when I was younger was to be a writer--which I am--not a knit or crochet designer--which I apparently am not.
I knit and crochet for my own enjoyment.
Ah well, I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities in the future. And there is that other Raveler who asked for the pattern for the Yankees Socks I made for Hubby. And a random person favored those on Flickr as well.
And Samson really enjoyed wrecking the Guinness I made him and the pups are still playing with the fabric (skin?).
I knit and crochet for my own enjoyment.
So I should get over myself already, I don't do this to build an empire.
Although it doesn't bode well for the top down mitts I submitted to a different book. That deadline was Feb 14. Is it too soon to worry?

No comments:

Post a Comment