Wednesday, April 13, 2011

KFI: Trellis Mitts KAL

Trellis mitts 2 You don't hear from me for ages and then I show up announcing my first Knit-A-Long, which I'm planning to start on April 20.

I have some gall.

I'd also like to ask why KAL doesn't translate into Knit-Along. I mean, that the proper spelling of the word, right?

Anyway.

That picture is of the unfinished right mitt. It is finished now but I haven't had a chance to take a picture. I'm working on the left mitt now and if I spent less time on the computer and more time on my knitting I might actually finish it.

On the other hand (hehe) part of me says not to finish the left mitt so I'll actually be knitting along with the, um, knit-along.

I've never run a KAL and I've actually only participated in one KAL for my Audrey sweater that I knit back in 2004 before I had a blog. And even then I just lurked and read what everyone was talking about.

That all means I'm kind of making this up as I go along.

A Gathering Place
The first thing I did was set up and event for it on the Ella Rae Yarns Facebook Page. I have 40 people attending and 20 maybes. That's pretty exciting, especially considering the only promoting I did was post that picture on the wall of the main KFI FB page. Well, prior to this blog post.

I had it in my head that I'd be able to send updates and such to event attendees, but I don't see that capability. When the time comes I plan to try to channel everyone to the discussion section. Of course I'll also set up the pattern on Ravelry and start a discussion thread in the Ella Rae group there.

Materials and Gauge
Yarn: Ella Rae Lace Merino (Fiber: 100% Superwash Merino Wool
Yardage: 460 Stitches: 6.5 Needle size: 4 Ball weight: 100g)

Needles: Set of 4 size US 2 dpn (or size needed to obtain gauge)

Gauge: In stockinette stitch 7 sts x 10 rows per inch worked in the round.

Sizing: I made the mitt to fit my wee 7" circumference hand. But I also made the palm in ribbing so it would have some stretch. On Friday I took it to the Library Knitting Group and let several people try it and then measured their hands. It comfortably fit up to a size 8" circumference hand. I suggest you aim for zero to negative ease, which will open up the lace pattern. The mitt I made it about 7 inches long, so it comes well down the mitt.

When the KAL starts I'll give suggestions on stitch count to make it a little bigger in circumference. I'll also give suggestions on making the section between the fingertips and the thumb shorter. As with my Top Down Alpaca Mitts the Trellis Mitts are worked from the finger knuckles down to the wrist as I feel this gives more options for length modifications.

The pattern is almost ready. I've written it up and sent it off for proofreading. My friend Danni has already sent it back and Pam said she'd have a look too, but she was having trouble opening the document.

I was going to dole out the pattern a section at a time, but now I've decided to just release it and let people work at their own pace while I'm availalbe to answer questions. Hopefully everyone will chat and share progress pics as well!

I've decided that Facebook can't be trusted not to eat the pattern based on it's tendancy to eat status updates and discussion entries. Therefore I'm going to see about having posted on the KFI website and just link to it.

Other Yarn Suggestions
I attempted to post this information on Facebook, but it disappeared, so you can understand why I'm bitter.

Lace Merino from Ella Rae, the yarn I'm using, is a fingering weight yarn. The "ball band" gauge is 6.5 sts/inch on a US 4 needle. The pattern gauge is 7 sts/inch on a US2.

Here are some other yarns for you to consider based on weight:
Araucania:
Itata or Ranco Sock.

Debbie Bliss:
Casmerino Baby or Rialto 4.

Louisa Harding Kashmir Baby.

Noro:
Taiyo Sock or Silk Garden Sock or Kureyon Sock.

Queensland Collection Sugar Rush.

Sirdar Snuggly 4 Ply.

Sublime Baby Cash Merino Silk 4 Ply.

Phew! Ok, what else would I need to tell you? Well, nothing at this point. Really, the picture is all the persuasion I probably need.

I hope you'll decide to knit along with me!

1 comment: