Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Talking to Socks

Alchemy Jasper This is not stash

This is a bribe payment.

Actually, it's the new Juniper yarn from Alchemy in the Dream colorway. The picture looks kind of blue, but it's actually a rather vivid and obnoxious purple, which is perfect for my purposes.

I'm making these socks for The Guy in the Art Department, aka Talking to Walls from the comments and he of the Purple Blog.

You might remember that I've been running to him for crash course lessons in Photoshop and InDesign. He designed the template I've been using for the patterns I sell. He also took it upon himself to create my swooshy green "Traveling Ann Designs" logo, complete with shamrock.

I've never priced out what these services would cost from a professional graphic designer (which he is) but I figured a pair of handmade socks must balance the scales.

TTS toe I cast on for these on Friday and they are my knitting for my trip.

I don't know how far I'll be able to get since I made him measure the circumference of his foot, but not the heel to toe.

He wears a size 11 shoe (!) and I'm getting 8 sts to the inch, which are going to make these the biggest socks I've made to date.

I decided to go toe up so I wouldn't have to worry about running out of yarn.

So far the Juniper is quite lovely, although I found it a bit splitty when I first got started. But I wonder if I'm working against the ply and the twisting of casting on opened it up a bit. Still, I might have to get some for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely color! Are you sure his toes are that pointy? Looks like you cast on 8 or 10? You may need to do 25 or so for a rounder toe. Then again, men can have dainty toes as well!! Right?

    ReplyDelete