Tuesday, July 15, 2008


I've been really sleepy lately. I think it has something to do with the sun shining into the bedroom and the stupid birds starting to sing at 5:30 am. Ah, but the central air is fixed as of lunch time, so we'll be able to shut the bedroom up tight tonight. I'm looking forward to it.
But my sleep deprived state has not impeded my knitting, just my desire to take pictures of it. Both heels have been turned as of this morning's commute. One heel was turned yesterday (I think) and I've been cruising down the foot. The other sock would have been turned yesterday, but I stalled because the twist in the yarn has gone all wacky.
The yarn is constructed of 4 strands twisted together and on of those strands isn't tracking properly so there was a little loop sticking out. But then a few inches later it all evened out, but then about a foot later there was another little loop.
In fact, the whole center portion that I've reached looks a little fripply. This is the ball that I wound on the swift and ball winder at the store oh so many moons ago. I don't know if I somehow wound it in the wrong direction (if that is even possible) or whether sitting in the cake effected it.
I posted a question about it on Ravelry. The one response I received was that the loose strand might be silk (Sanctuary is 30% silk and 70% wool) so it is stretching at a different rate, which is causing it not to track properly. She suggested I cut the yarn and rejoin it.
Which, of course, was just what I was hoping to avoid.
The strange thing, well one strange thing, is that the yarn looks like a homogeneous mix of wool and silk, i.e., not a strand of pure silk twisted with a strand of pure wool. If it was two pure strands twisted together I could understand it going wacky. I've seen it happen with other yarns. The other strange this is the second skein, which I wound by hand just before I cast on, is fine.
Well, as you can imagine, I did not cut and rejoin because I'm a rebel like that. I unwound the cake, ran the length of yarn through my fingers a few times in both directions, then rewound it into a ball. Then I knit while pretending the little loop wasn't there.
Whether this will compromise the integrity of my socks is yet to be known.
Part of my reluctance to cut the yarn is that it's really looking like I'm going to be awfully close to getting a complete sock out of each skein. Which will be really mind blowing if it happens, although I'm not holding my breath.
Think about it, the pattern calls for two skeins--one for each sock. Although I have sized it down, I have also made the leg much longer than the pattern calls for. So I can't imagine that the yarn I saved in circumference was enough to cancel out the yarn I used in length. What will probably happen is the yarn will last to a few rows shy of finishing the toe and I'll have to bust into the third skein.
Really, it won't matter if the yarn does last because I bought it several months ago and have far exceeded the return policy. On the other hand, it would be nice to have a full skein to play with. I wonder if it would be enough for another pair of fingerless mitts?
And, finally, I apparently can't do math.
The structure of the Cuban Heel calls for it to be worked on half the stitches. You increase every other row until the needles with the heel stitches equal total sock stitches minus 4. In my case I have a 52 st sock. Half that is 26, so I divided the stitches on the needles and positioned my heel increases in the middle of the back 26. It split the center back twist nicely. I was supposed to increase to 48 sts. Which I figured meant I had to add 22 sts to the back of the sock between my markers. Which was 11 sts each needle. Wait that math does work.
Huh, well, after I had 22 sts between the markers I did count but just plunged in a turned the heel and then a few rows after I counted and only had 50 sts total when I should have been back to 52. The point is that I didn't increase my heel enough. This all work much better on my Joy of Charlene socks, and I didn't even know what I was doing then. Still, this actually does work out. I had originally been considering dropping the sock to 50 sts, but had decided it would damage the pattern. Here on the foot it doesn't matter. The instep is still balanced, the sole doesn't have a design, and the fit seems good.
Of course, I made the second sock match the first.
Ok, looks like lunch time is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment