Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sixth Picture Challenge

Nutcracker 2005 Riohnna tagged me again!
I need to set up some kind of early warning system for these things.
This one is pretty harmless, unlike that "7 things about me" one I got hit with before and that "25 things" one someone on Facebook wacked me with. Good grief, it's hard to think of that many things off the top of my head. Or, at least, that many things that I would share with someone other than Hubby.
Anyway.
The rules are:
1. Go to your pictures
2. Take the 6th folder
3. Choose the 6th picture
4. Show the picture on you blog and write something about it.
5. Invite 6 new people to this challenge.
6. Link to them and let them know they are challenged.

Well, I only have four folders on Flickr, so that wasn't going to work. Changing tact, I went into iPhoto. The sixth album was labeled "Nutcracker 05" which had potential. The sixth picture happed to be this one of the set from the end of the show. We went to the evening performance and I believe the stage hadn't been reset from the matinee performance.
Why do I have a picture of the empty set? Well, I'll tell you.
My aunt plays violin for the NY City Ballet (and the Opera too, as a matter of fact). So in 2005 she was able to get us balcony seats (I think) for her awesome employee price!
AND we met her about 15 or 30 minutes before the show started at the special employee entrance and she gave us a whole backstage tour.
Why, yes, it was as cool as it sounds.
We saw the rat king head up close, and we played with the fake snow, and we saw the magical Christmas tree braced to grow (well, Hubby did anyway, I believe I was slumped in my seat by then).
See, as you do in a situation like that, we made an evening of it. We went to dinner at Morrell Wine Bar near Rockefeller Plaza. But then we could get a taxi, so we ended up doing a brisk walk over to the David H Koch Theater which is right next to the Metropolitain Opera House.
Well, after a rich dinner (which of course included wine), the brisk walk, and the excitement of seeing all the secret backstage stuff...well, lets say I wasted some of that fancy dinner, shall we?
Luckily I was able to get out one of the airsick bags I carry incase a migraine takes a bad turn, and I'm sure I'm not the first person to get sick backstage, although I might have been one of the few who wasn't a nervouse performer. (Huh, I'll have to remember this story for the next time I'm hit with an about me list.)
Hubby and my aunt took the situation in stride and I fled to our seats while Hubby got to see the rest of the fun stuff (no point in him missing out because I'm delicate!).
We also got to meet the guys in the catwalks who do all the special effects during the show. That was cool (I got sick shortly after that). Hubby was fascinated. He would have been happy watching the show from up there. My aunt said all the boys always feel that way.
The show was, of course, great. If that wasn't the first time I'd seen it, it was the first time as an adult and I'm really sure the first time seeing the official performance.
Every so often we talk about doing it again, but skipping the bit where I make a spectical of myself, but we haven't gotten around to it.
Ok, I think that's enough of that. And I think we've already established that I'm a baby when it comes to tagging other people. So, if you are inspired, feel free!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fun pic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's really cool. early in college, my TD (technical director) knew the MC (master carpenter) from Phantom. so we went to see the show (my first time). but before the show, we got the full backstage tour from him. if you've seen phantom, you know it's a busy show. it's also a small stage, which they've dealt with creatively. got to see all the under-stage stuff as well. kinda ruined the show a little, because we knew how everything worked, and during the show you have our group of techs watching HOW it was happening, not WHAT.

    ReplyDelete