Monday, April 26, 2010

Knitting Friends Rock

SCS cable swatchBecause when you drop a disheveled pile of swatches in front of them, declare it is the result of your knitting efforts all week, and you still didn't get gauge, they will treat it as the travesty it is.

Which was what Pam did when I presented her with my tangled Spud & Chloe Sweater swatches on Saturday morning.

I did end up swatching with a US4 as well. Not only was it uncomfortable to work on those smaller needles but I STILL didn't get gauge.

In a fit, I then swatched with some Zara on a US 5 (or was it 6?) and also didn't get gauge.

Now I think it's not me OR the yarn. It's the pattern. grrr.

Since I didn't want to give up on the Sweater yarn entirely because it seems nice, I switched gears and swatched for Coral Crossing from the Fall 2006 issue of Interweave Knits.

You guessed it, didn't get gauge.

I've now frogged the yarn and I'm going to make the Ribbit Pattern from the Spud & Chloe blog. Cute little frog, one ball of Sweater. Stray skein of yarn problem solved.

Lending Library?
During a quite moment Pam and I scouted the shelves for other yarn options for me. I let go of the "no 100 percent cotton" rule to increase my options.

We think Cotton Classic from Tahki has potential.

To save me from having to buy yet another single skein just for swatching (trust me, my annoyance level was that high) Pam said she has a bunch of partial skeins at home and she'll let me borrow one.

She's been using them to make these adorable crocheted baby toys so I'll have to return it. But it's not like a little swatching will do it much harm.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. Crossing my fingers for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was glad to help. It is a mystery when you can't get gauge on any needle. I've had that happen to me too.

    I'll leave the cotton classic at the store for you, on the hooks.

    May the Knitting G-ds smile on you.

    ReplyDelete