Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kick in the Pants

CEFscarf done First up, the Cashmere Sock version of my Eyelet and Feather Scarf is done and blocked!
After going through all the trouble of brushing my hair, this is the best picture I got. (Hubby is deep in school work and correcting papers for the end of term and is not to be disturbed.)
So, it's my own Eyelet and Feather pattern (available there in the side bar and in my Ravelry store).
The pattern was written using Alchemy Monarch. To accommodate this different yarn I went up to a US7 needle.
Now I have to take some new measurements, tweak the pattern for this yarn, and fill out the submission form, then it will be winging its way off to the publisher.

Cotton and More Cotton rib sock cuff
The completion of that scarf has caused me, in a round about way, to start working on the Damn Doily again.
But by now you've noticed I tend to do things in a round about way.

But First, a Detour
After I finished the blue scarf, I spent an evening with the Heart Harf. Now both sides are three heart panels long.
As I approach the point where I'll have to graft the center shut, I'm growing nervous.
P asked Lucy about grafting Knit 2, Purl 2 rib on Saturday.
Lucy replied, "Top to top or top to bottom?" And launched into a discussion that included waste yarn making your life easier.
It was interesting, but I could only half listen as I was counting the cash register drawer at the time.
But then driving home I thought, "Blast! That might have been useful for the Harf!" I will have to consult with P, or see if this technique is covered on Lucy's DVDs.
Of course, I weathered grafting the cable band on Coronet shut and even managed to figure out how to keep the reverse stockinette stitch correct.
Still, I might need to make a swatch in less delicate yarn for practice.

cotton sock swatchBack to Cotton
But I've also been working on the Ribbed Cotton Socks out of Sockina Cotton.
I decided to go with the US1. The gauge was a little smaller, maybe a quarter of a stitch. But the interior felt nicer on my fingers, which will feel nicer on my feet.
After doing some math, I determined I should cast on 44 sts. This seemed ridiculous even for me, but I rolled with it.
The test bit did indeed stretch out unattractively, so I frogged it, cast on 48, then decreased down to 44 sts after my standard 15 rows of cuff ribbing.
You can see the decreases happening in the top picture.

Princess Time
In the mean time, I've also decided these socks are a good candidate for a Princess Sole.
It's not that the yarn isn't soft, but it doesn't have the squish that wool sock yarn does. Based on my experience with my other cotton socks, I think the smooth interior will be more pleasant.
However, based on my experience with the ladder that formed on the sole of my New Year's Socks, I thought it might be best to work the sole of the Ribbed socks all on one needle.
That is, usually I knit socks with the stitches distributed on four needles and a fifth for working.
I want these socks on three needles with a fourth for working.
This will be easier to accomplish on my 6" Clovers rather than my 5" Brittanies.

Now We Get to the Doily
But, of course, my long US1 needles are in the Damn Doily, which has been back in the dining room credenza since we took that trip to my in-laws' the other month.
So in a desperate attempt to free my needles so I can knit my socks, I've been devoting all my knitting time to the doily!
As of last night, I'm on row 55. The goal is 60 rows for the center, then two rows each of knitting and crocheting for the border.
It occurs to me I should be strong and jump straight into the third and final doily as soon as I finish this one.
Will power being my strong point, an all.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Traveling Ann:

    Your readers (ME) request a larger picture of the Eyelet and Feather Scarf when you get a chance....... :)

    he he he he

    P.S. We might be missing the Harf too....