Thursday, March 12, 2009

Reverse Shaping

I am 10 rows into the second half of the Harf.
This is good, because it's not very many to rip out.
See, despite not being able to think totally straight on account of my headache yesterday, I went ahead and cast on for the left half of the Harf.
This took several attempts as they all kept coming out too tight and it was difficult to work the stitches. I'm not sure how many attempts, but enough that I switched to the other end of the ball as I was concerned the first end was getting mangled.

Mirror, Mirror
Although it occurred to me at some point last week, or even earlier this week, that when I start the left side of the hood bit I would have to remember to work the cable panel at the other end of the needle so the pattern would line up properly.
red harf swatches Ok, stick with me.
As you can see in this photo, since I work the stitches from right to left, the cable panel is on the right hand edge of the piece when the right/correct/front is facing.
So for the half of the Harf I'm working now, I needed the cable panel to be on the left hand side.
But as I wasn't thinking straight last night, I followed my notes from the first half.

Keep Going
At this point you might be thinking, "But Ann, you've figured out that you need one panel repeat sans increases to bridge the top of the head. Why not keep working forward like a normal person?"
Well, that occurred to me last night when I realized my error. But I'm not going to do it.
I know I changed elements quite a bit while making the prototype, adding cables and such, but it seemed to me that the increase end and the decrease end weren't harmonious. This might have been because they ended up spaced differently once I switched to reverse stockinette, or because I kept moving them toward the center when adding cables and such. I just didn't like the looks of it and thought doing increases on both sides will balance it better.

Flip It

So now you're thinking, "But Ann, you've done that provisional cast on. Why not just work from the bottom edge of the new piece and avoid ripping back?"
Well, I though of that too. But I'm probably not going to do it.
First, for some bizarre reason I've got my heart set on working both sides up and grafting them in the middle. I guess I like to make my knitting life difficulty, because, you know, the kitchener stitch is just soooo much fun to work.
And I can be awfully stubborn when I put my mind to it. harf hiccup
Also, if you remember when I finally started knitting in earnest, I (attempted to) pointed out the way the stitches change direction on the other end of a provisional cast on. Everything is shifted half a stitch.
I'm concerned that if I do flip the piece and work from the bottom, when it comes time to graft the two pieces together, the mismatch will make it more difficult than I already anticipate it being.
Not to mention keeping any wonky bits balanced on both sides.

One Last Hurdle
Of course, I will make an attempt to grab the stitches on the first row so I can just rip out and then go forward right away. Rather than having to start from scratch.
I'm not sure how successful I'll be, or it this stunt will actually prove easier than just casting on again.

1 comment:

  1. AND - this is a new pattern and you want to get it just right! It's looking great Ann. I hope your head is feeling better today. I'm on a new allergy medicine (singulair) and it seems to be helping my migraines too (although my nose is running and I'm using up the Kleenex - so much for new allergy medicines!!!) :)