Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Stupid Mohair Sweater

sweater damageLast week I pulled out my Mohair Cowl Sweater. It was not only as limp as a flaccid balloon because it ended up at the bottom of the sweater pile (oops), but there was a snag in the sleeve.
Now I must have been very annoyed indeed to have put it away like that, but I can understand my reaction considering the damage the dogs caused the first time I wore it after it was done.
I don't quite remember whether the sleeve snag was caused by a puppy; I think it involved a belt buckle. It could have involved a watch strap, but the sweater doesn't have a clear front/back so I don't know which arm this sleeve was on. The world may never know.
Apparently my feelings have not changed, since I shoved it into the dining room credenza with the rest of my "active" knitting/crochet and let it languish for a week.
I fished it out again on Sunday and, of course, the repair to mere minutes. sweater fixed
I was going to try to take pictures of the repair process, but I only have two hands and the colors were working against me.
When the one strand was yanked out of place a line of pulled/tight stitches resulted on either side, eventually lessening until the fabric was normal again. I followed that line to its termination to see what I was up against. Then I used a crochet hook to draw the slack back into the fabric and work it along the pull line. It's fiddly, but doable since the fabric is so open.
I like this sweater, it has a good wow factor, and it is warmer than it looks. But at the same time this tendency to snag at the drop of a puppy paw is really annoying.
Because, if all that isn't enough, when I got to work Monday the velcro on my driving gloves snag one ply of one strand. Not a whole strand, just a little piece. I don't think I'll be able to work it back in.
I think it will be a very long time before I make anything this filmy again!

Bunny Puppy
samson carrotHere is Samson enjoying a breakfast carrot. (Baru takes his treasures further into the green room and eats them too quickly to photograph.)
The rest of their "puppy mash" (which is what we call their ground veggies) was used up for dinner Sunday night. Since there isn't time in the morning to make puppy mash, I was lazy and just gave them each a whole carrot. This was not the best course of action as I've read dogs don't digest the cellulose in vegetables as efficiently as humans do, so veggies should be cooked or ground to make the nutrients available to them. Well, once in a while won't kill them.
Yes, my puppies eat their veggies better than many human children do.
And, yes, sometimes I do feel bad that my dogs eat better than many humans. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't feed my dogs. And even if they were on kibble they might still be eating better than some humans. Really, a girl can't win.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't get over how fast you fixed that sweater! You did a great job and you can't even see where the hole was.

    Also, I don't believe I've ever seen a dog eating a carrot before!! LOL! Good for him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you feed your dogs well. Too many pets are neglected or abused. Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete