Monday, August 4, 2008

Rip, Yank, Tug

While I was messing with projects over the weekend, I dug out this aborted pair of socks I was making in Cashcotton DK.
The yarn was originally purchased for a Tam class I took with Beth Brown-Riensel at Knitting Central many moons ago. I think it was her, it was a Tam class. I wasn't really interested in knowing how to knit Tams, I was after the two color knitting instruction. Most of which I've forgotten because I didn't use it enough. (I've heard a rumor she'll be at the store again next year, so I'll have to keep my eyes open for that.)
The Tam, which is teddy bear sized, didn't use all the yarn, so I thought I'd make a pair of striped toe up socks.
I worked on those stupid socks for a year. They weren't working out and they were really holding back my other knitting until I finally gave myself permission to abandon them. They were fitting fine, but I didn't like the way they looked on. The stitches spread out too much.
Some time after that I made the BonBon top out of Rowan Classic Holiday (I really like that book). It's a great top, although I with the straps did swoop in so much at the top, and I thought another would be good to have.
The pattern actually calls for Cashcotton DK, but I had used Cashsoft DK. I figured I was all set, I would just have to do stripes. But I also had to reclaim the yarn, which wasn't happening.
Until over the weekend. I yanked out the abandoned socks and balled up all the little bits. That is one problem, since I was doing stripes the yarn has been cut up a bit. But I'm going to roll with it. I know how to weave in ends.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Your new BonBon top will be even better since you used old yarn that was sitting and waiting for you!