Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Seaming


nell seam
Originally uploaded by TravelingAnn

The ability of the human mind to block out unpleasant experiences is truly amazing. It is probably a factor in a knitter's ability to merrily knit one sweater after another all the while knowing said sweaters are eventually going to have to be sewn together.
Or at least I think it contributes to my ability to forget in between.

I was going to try to feed you some line about how seaming two horizontal pieces together (e.g., the front and back of a sweater) isn't so bad. But I quickly realized it would be a load of nonsense.

Not to say I hate seaming sweaters in the same way I understand other knitters do. I just don't like it as much as I like the knitting. I think I even do a fairly good job of it, not to say I would feel comfortable having someone pay me to do it, but no one has ever commented on it. Actually, to the contrary, I once had a non-knitter comment on how well done/interesting a shoulder seam was. Now sewing in sleeves, that I hate.

But I've been sucking it up and working on seaming Nell. No, I haven't finished the button band. That has one again been abandoned. My wrist got a little tweaky over the weekend again, so I resorted to the seaming to give myself a break. I've finished one side now, from hem to cuff. One more side and the button band to go! I don't think I'm going to finish by the 24th.

Sundae is coming along. I was able to get through most of the lace a bead section on the front over the weekend, leaving me with just two rows of straight lace to do on the train. Of course I lost a row an a half yesterday because I was supposed to YO, SKP, K1, K2Tog, YO, and instead I YO, SKP, K2Tog, leaving out the center K1 and last YO entirely. I did not realize this until a row later because the intermediate row was straight purl and the pattern on the rest of the row was somehow correct. That lapse had to have changed my stitch count, but I must have been looking at the pattern rather than counting so the rest of the row fell into line. Oh well, it's fixed now.
But, again, I don't think I'm going to finish by the 24th.

My Fight With Flickr
Which isn't even a real fight considering I just upgraded to a Pro account (it was only $25 for the year, which is still about half a tank of gas, but will hopefully last longer than the gas). My issue is that, apparently, if you have a photo on Flickr you are supposed to link any other appearances of it back to Flickr. (I have not been yelled at about this, I see the notation on the web site.) I think it has something to do with stealing bandwidth.
Now, you can click that nice little "blog this" button, but it makes the formatting all freaky—as you can see in this post. I don't mind the blue border or the little notation of the picture name.
Also, if you go to the other sizes page and use that HTML, that shows up freaky in the blog as well.
What I usually do is upload pictures to Flickr for Ravelry purposes, and then upload the image to Blogger straight from my desktop. Which gets around the whole Flickr's bandwidth issue. I have to image that it's my picture and if I want to post it in multiple places I can.
But I thought I'd be good and pull the pictures out of Flickr, which wasn't working so well over the weekend and I ended up ditching the post.

In an attempt to beat the blog into submission, I trotted off to the library and picked up "Lean HTML in a Weekend." Much to my disappointment it is written for Windows, and I use the superior Mac. But I have to imagine the actual coding is the same (I checked around and it looks like there is a Mac version of the book, but I'm not going to buy it. That money can be spent on yarn!).
So if freaky things start happening/appearing (well, freakier than normal), it's just me messing with things I probably shouldn't be messing with.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment